Monday 10 March 2014

Physically Challenged


It was a fluke how I tore a ligament in my ankle. I twisted my leg when I got off the car. But the pain was unbearable and my foot was swollen like a watermelon in no time. After the usual x-rays and orthopedic consultation it was diagnosed as a sever ligament tear and I had to wear a removable cast ( hard cast on one side and velcrove straps on the other) for a month.

Initially I was in a lot of pain and bed rest for me to give this a second thought, but as I got better and started moving around, with the cast of course, I realized how people were looking at me, became conscious of how strangers gave a pitiful look. I understood what that look meant only after a few days. Then I started becoming conscious and I didn’t want to go out in public in my cast. After a couple of more days, I got angry and realized I don’t care. This whole process lasted 10 days and started me thinking how a physically challenged person feels all the time.

Every step was a challenge, as walking on the road itself is dangerous because it was difficult to maneuver on the mud road, incase I slip, because there was no footpath. While attending an event in a business centre, the entrance was 15 steps away with no alternative but for me to take a friends help and scramble up very slowly while everyone else watched or felt sorry for me.

Why aren’t we doing something about this? Why isn’t the government making ramps mandatory in public places? How can the physically challenged be independent if there are so many hurdles?

I really thank god for small mercies and this experience has taught me instead of whinging about being in this situation for a week i am glad i can walk normally the rest of the time...

I have renewed respect for everyone in this situation. I will be fine in a couple of weeks and go back to my arrogant self and strut around in high heels, but the ones that have to live like this all the time, I cannot imagine and hats off to you….

2 comments:

Sujata said...

Hello Geetha,

I am in the same situation about yours. Going through the leg fracture, it has taught me a lesson for life about things we take for granted. During this time, Taking a step forward or climb a stair was a personal achievement for me and feel good to walk with crutches or walker after 5 weeks of support.

I also went through the same thought process as yours, how accommodative or friendly are our public spaces for physically challenged. Its hugely restrictive to move around places. I have been venturing out lately, and have all the eyes on me while I am out, I have people walking up and asking me whats wrong with my foot? and have been sympathetic and wishing me a speedy recovery!!

I would like to bring to notice, that the places I went to have been extra accomadative, I braved the odds and went to movie a couple of weeks, with few friends, One of the staff boy saw me limping and immediately got me a stool to rest my leg while seating through the movie. At the resturant too, as soon they saw me limping in I was made to sit at a comfortable seating and a chair to rest my leg. Thankfully Humanity still exists and will exist !

Only when we go through one incident and an eyeopener that we realize how much we take things for granted and wonder how does the challenged or disabled person go through.

As you mentioned, this would be an episode that I would eventually shed off too, but people living with challenges are the true heros and yes! Please take care and speedy recovery to you, my friend!

Geetha said...

Hi Suji, Good to know you were treated well, gives us some hope, doesn't it? but things have a long way to go before it gets better but we appreciate the small gestures...